Klepatra 'Lookup on Server' search failing

I installed gpg4win-4.0.0 with Kleopatra. As part of verifying the Electrum Bitcoin Wallet installer and for purposes of learning about PGP, I attempted to use the Kleopatra “Lookup on server” tool but it does not seem to be working.

I checked the Settings>Configure - Kleopatra, OpenPGP keyserver and it has the default key server as hkps://keyserver.ubuntu.com (greyed out).

I attempted to look up ThomasV and Thomas Voegtlin and I copied/pasted the public key Electrum provides on their website for Thomas Voegtlin who is the signature for the Electrum Bitcoin Wallet installer, but the Lookup on Server search failed to return anything.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hello nomen,
Thank you for your message and yes you are right about that issue. I discovered the same problem. We will open a task about this issue asap.

Hello nomen,

1. It could be a problem with the new “Lets Encrypt CA” certificates, it is possible that they are not registered by your Windows installation yet.

See also: https://dev.gnupg.org/T5848

If you delete the default value once, than Kleopatra does not insert the default value to the necessary place again, and that causes the connection problem to “hkps://keyserver.ubuntu.com”.

2a. Please go to the following directory: C:\Users\Intevation\AppData\Roaming\gnupg

2b. Open the “dirmngr” file with the text “Editor” of Windows.

2c. Delete the second line “keyserver hkps://” complete and “restart” Kleopatra again.

2d. Go to “Settings” → “Configure Kleopatra” → now, you should see the default value in grey: hkps://keyserver.ubuntu.com

2e. Try the search function “Lookup on Server” again, it should work.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Please consider that the path of your pc is different than I wrote:

C:\Users\YOURPCUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\gnupg

or

Insert “run” in the Windows search field, “insert” or “copy & paste” this value “%APPDATA%/gnupg” and press “OK”.

It should open the same directory, %APPDATA% → variable