Forum: help

Monitor Forum | Start New Thread Start New Thread
Eventually, that worked. [ Reply ]
By: Martin Somers on 2009-03-10 00:00
[forum:1569]
I also had to delete all the registry entries associated with GPG. Used GPA to import the keyrings, private first, and finally it worked.

Thanks. The docs (what there are) seem quite silent on this point.

Martin

RE: WinPT 1.2.0 won't import private keyring [ Reply ]
By: lambert hofstra on 2009-03-09 21:07
[forum:1568]
Hi Martin,

had the same problem (at least, same symptoms), could not import a private key. It turned out I had first imported public keys, and GPG would not import a private key when it first imported public keys...

I seem to remember I had to deinstall, and remove all GPG files (also the folder "C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\gnupg"

After that I rebooted, reinstalled Winpt, and imported the pub/priv key without a problem.

Hope this helps!

Lambert

WinPT 1.2.0 won't import private keyring [ Reply ]
By: Martin Somers on 2009-03-09 19:22
[forum:1567]
I am using GPG with WinPT on three or four computers on my home LAN. Same version on all of them. I generated my private/public key pair on one, and exported it to a secure location on the LAN as secring.gpg. I imported it to two other computers with no trouble; works fine.

But the third computer refuses to import it. It SAYS that it found 1 public and 1 private key, but never shows the key pair in the list. I can't set the trust level, I can't use it to encrypt or decrypt; nothing. GPA does exactly the same thing; says it has imported the private/public ring, but doesn't display it.

GPA does show "1 private key" in the status bar, but not in the list of keys. I can import public keys for other users with no trouble.

I've re-exported the keys from another computer, reinstalled (twice) GPG with WinPT, and still the same thing. Using WinXP Pro SP3 on all computers.

The computer that doesn't work is the laptop I take with me when away from home, so unless I can fix this I can't use secure email when I'm on the road. Has anyone run into a similar problem? I can't understand why it works fine on the other computers but not on this one, since they were all installed from the same GPG 1.1.3 install file.

Martin