Forum: help

Monitor Forum | Start New Thread Start New Thread
RE: Secure erase [ Reply ]
By: Timo Schulz on 2007-01-11 12:05
[forum:830]
NO. Please do not use the _WinPT_ Shell Extension any longer. The project is on ice for quite years and will be never reactivated again. Please use GPGee for file handling and Erazor for secure deleting of files.

Thanks.

RE: Secure erase [ Reply ]
By: Donald Tabone on 2007-01-04 10:41
[forum:824]
Sorry wrong forum. Digging around i found the answer here:

http://www.excelcia.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=7839

No, this isn't possible right now. I've now added a FAQ answer for this question.

FAQ wrote:

* Is it possible to securely wipe files with GPGee?

No. GPGee has no provision for secure file deletion. Securely deleting a file is not as simple as it sounds. Not the least of the problems is the definition of "secure", which is different depending on who you talk to. Secure against undeletion? Secure against forensic analysis of the magnetic domains on the hard disk platter? I'm not convinced the latter is possible without physical destruction of the media.

There are really two issues that make me reluctant. One is that there are non-obvious techincal challenges to doing a good file wipe, and I am very reluctant to add the support but get some part wrong. It could have serious consequences if people depend on GPGee to securely delete a file and for some reason I got some part wrong. The second is that there is already an open source program called Eraser, the sole purpose of which is to handle secure file deletion. Like GPGee, it has a Windows explorer context menu entry. This program securely deletes files and wipes drives, and that's all it does. Consequently, the authors can concentrate on getting it right.

I am entertaining the notion of giving GPGee the ability to automatically activate Eraser. You would have to have both installed, but at least the process would be automated. For now, though, one more right-click to select file deletion isn't going to kill people.

Secure erase [ Reply ]
By: Donald Tabone on 2007-01-04 10:09
[forum:823]
I refer to the useful WinPT shell extension.

I would like to offer a suggestion unless already suggested to add a function to "Secure erase" a file -- primarily to NOT send the file to the recycle bin as per Windows default delete function. I am aware that pressing SHIFT+DELETE deletes the file(s) directly however they are still somewhat recoverable. I am also aware that there other free tools (Win32 shell extensions such as Eraser) out there that do a similar job, however it would be nice to see it already there in WinPT without having to install another program!

Regards,
D.