Kleopatra Columns

Is there a way to have Kleopatra show the key type in the list of keys? I thought maybe Protocol would have done it but it only shows “OpenPGP”

I was hoping that there was a way to show something like RSA-2048, ECSDA (ed25519), etc., to more easily identify the key without having to dive into all the details screens.

Thanks

No, regardless of the usefulness of such information, which I doubt it might be misleading.

E.g. if a key has an RSA-4096 primary key but only an RSA-512 encryption subkey.

So for any useful meaning Kleopatra would have to show the Algorithms of all subkeys and that is not part of the keylist. You can only dive into that in the Certificate Details.

Yes you can argue that We could have a Tree View that also shows the subkeys but let’s not make Kleo more confusing for most users then it already is :wink:

Sure I can see that… I guess I was thinking it useful if someone had multiple keys i.e., RSA-4096 as well as an elliptical one. I guess maybe the same thing could be accomplished with a “comment” column where the user could then put something in to more easily distinguish the key. I know fingerprints would be different for each key but I know I would not remember which one goes with each key… Maybe I’m just overthinking it.

Did you notice that with 3.1.11 we have such a comment column? When you certify a user-id you can now add a comment. Kleopatra calls this “Tags”.

Technically we do that through signature annotations. Cool stuff :sunglasses:

Interesting… I did not until now… I will take a look at that…thanks

excuse my ignorance but would the master key be able to decrypt the subkeys if they existed?

Hello j b,

do you mean if you can decrypt a file with the primary/master key if the file was encrypted with a subkey? No. You can only decrypt with the private key when the public key of the same keypair was used and the other way around. The primary key and the subkey are NOT in the same keypair so this doesn’t work.
Additionally, per default the primary key (certification, signatures) has different tasks than the subkey (en-/decryption).