Forum: open-discussion

Monitor Forum | Start New Thread Start New Thread
RE: WinPT Doesn't recognize current windows [ Reply ]
By: Timo Schulz on 2006-12-10 16:08
[forum:752]
I agree that the hotkeys are a good replacement for the current window mode.

I'm sorry that I can't solve the problem but IMHO there is no (clean) way to fix that.

But still, I'm interested in any information you find out.

By: Mark Leone on 2006-12-10 13:34
[forum:750]
Yes, I do have a fairly high number of utility programs in my system tray. I also run several anti-ware spyware programs, including the program snoopfree that runs at a low level and looks for screen hooks and keyboard hooks. I'll try to find some time to selectively eliminate some utilities and see what works, but I don't know when I'll be able to get to that.

I don't use the program that often, and using the hotkeys is a perfectly acceptable workaround for me. The feature sometimes works from the menu command as well. I posted more out of a sense of curiosity why no one else was reporting it than a need to have it fixed.

An alternative troubleshooting technique may be for those who do have the problem to post what they're running in the system tray, and see if there is any common denominator. I can do that, but I'll need to post later with that info.

-Mark

By: Timo Schulz on 2006-12-10 10:08
[forum:748]
I'm sorry to say this, but the current window mode is not a 100% clean solution. It should work with most kind of windows and actually I never had any problems with it.

But I got a lot of reports from users which have trouble with the feature. It might be also possible that other programs with "low-level hooks" influence the functionality of this feature.

There is not much I can do about it. I spent a lot of time to improve the feature but this is difficult when it works on my machine.

Do you (you and the other writer in this thread) have a lot of utility programs in the tray?

By: Fred Wamsley on 2006-12-09 20:47
[forum:746]
Here's another data point, which I hope is helpful in tracking this down.

Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 with all hotfixes.
WinPT 1.0.1

Just like Mr. Foster's experience, I can have the Current Window features tell me that they can't get text out of a completely standard window like the one for Notepad. Then if I close WinPT (running from status bar) and reopen it, the Current Window features work fine.

Commercial PGP had a very similar problem. They had intermittent failures in their Current Window features. The symptom was that they couldn't get any text out of the window.

I guess that the problem is at bottom something weird about Microsoft Windows. Maybe programs that read text out loud for the blind have the same kinds of problems? Maybe checking MSDN for bug reports and sample code about "screen readers" might help.

By: Mark Leone on 2006-08-18 04:16
[forum:580]
Bill Foster's post describes what happened in my case, I believe. AS I mentined previously, WinPT was absetrn from the system tray and I started the program from the Program menu. Only then did the Current Window capability begin working.

I believe that is the common link. Can you try that and see if you get the same result?

By: David Vallier on 2006-08-17 23:38
[forum:579]
>>Perhaps one of the outstanding patches will solve the problem.<<

Don't think so, as the patches that are not installed are either M$ Spyware, or don't relate to this system. (IE Window$ Server etc..)

By: Bill Foster on 2006-08-17 01:49
[forum:578]
I too have seen that error message on my W2K system. If I then use the clipboard option, instead of the current window, it works fine, without an error.

Or, if I right click the icon in the system tray and exit WinPT, and then start it up again, I can use the current window option error-free.

It, of course, should not be that way, but maybe this will help lead to a solution.

By: Mark Leone on 2006-08-16 22:36
[forum:577]
Perhaps one of the outstanding patches will solve the problem. I think I installed some patches between the time I had the problem and when it went away. However, I'm not sure. But I am sure that this feature was not working for me before. I tried it over and over again, and it most certianly was not working. The only thing I might have changed since then is installing the latest patches via auto-update.

By: David Vallier on 2006-08-16 20:19
[forum:576]
I've still got the problem..

everytime I try to encrypt a "window" I get the error msg..WINPT Error..Make sure the window contains text..blah blah.., Window does contain text, winpt just doesn't see it for some reason.

Winpt is the current release, running on WinXp Home Sp2 90% patched.

By: Mark Leone on 2006-08-16 11:41
[forum:575]
I tried it again to be sure , and darn if it isn't working with all three of those apps. I swear it wasn't working before. I don't know what I did. I rebotted a couple times, but I had rebooted before and it didn't work. Also WinPT was not in my system tray for some reason, so I launched it from the Program menu-- not sure if that did something. Anyway, it seems to be working now.

BTW, I should have said NOtePad vice TextPad in my previous post.

By: Mark Leone on 2006-08-16 11:36
[forum:574]
I'm using WinPT 1.0.0, Win XP Pro SP2 with all current patches. SO far I tried TextPad, WordPad, and MS Word, and Current Windows did not work for either of them. Do you have a suggestion for an editor that will work, or are these editors working on your machine?

By: Timo Schulz on 2006-08-16 08:19
[forum:573]
The current window mode does not work with all windows but in 1.0.0 I fixed a group of possible
problems. On my machine it works with almost any
window I tried.

By: Mark Leone on 2006-08-15 03:10
[forum:571]
It sounds like a bug. I didn't want to write a bug report until I heard that someone else was seeing the same thing. I'll wait a couple days in case someone has an explanation, and then I'll submit a bug report.

By: David Vallier on 2006-08-15 02:20
[forum:570]
[quote] If I use the hotkeys, it works. But why won't it work from the tray icon menu??? I seem to be the only one having this problem, unless no one else is using that feature.[end quote]

I have TRIED this feature, but didn't report the problem 'caus I thought I was the only one with it.

Now that at least on other person has encountered this problem I know it isn't system specific.

I use XP HOME Sp2

WinPT Doesn't recognize current windows [ Reply ]
By: Mark Leone on 2006-08-14 03:51
[forum:569]
I just downloaded WinPT, and the main feature I was interested in doesn't seem to work properly. I want to encrypt the current window. I created a text file, inseted some text, and made the file the current window. Then I clicked on the tray icon for WinPT and selected current window --> sign and encrypt.

I received the error "Make sure that the window contains text. Could not extract data from the current window." I tried using WordPad and MS Word as the app for creating the current window. Doesn't work with either one.

If I use the hotkeys, it works. But why won't it work from the tray icon menu??? I seem to be the only one having this problem, unless no one else is using that feature.

I'm using WIndows XP Pro SP2.

-Mark