Changes in GPG4Win 3.x

I was using GPG4Win 2.x before so that is what I am used to. After installing 3.1.11 I noticed a few confusing things.

1. I’m not sure where my keys are stored anymore. I have some I have imported (public) and some that I created in the new Kleopatra but have no idea where they are stored so I can back them up, etc…

2. Is GPA gone from this now, so we only have Kleopatra?

Thanks

Hi Mark,

the new GnuPG 2.2 has slightly changed the place where some secret key material is located within the GNUPGHOME directory. (This should be fine given that you are backing this up already, I guess.)

GPA still comes with Gpg4win 3, but it is not installed by default. You’ll have to select it.
Note that much more work has gone into Kleopatra, this is why Kleo is the recommended default tool and you should try it first.

For details see

Best Regards,
Bernhard

Hi Bernhard,

I just looked and I don’t have a GNUPGHOME directory at all. I have a GNUPG directory but I looked through every sub directory and didn’t see either that sub directory nor any keys stored anywhere. It’s odd as I did create a new key in Kleopatra (besides the ones that were auto created with enigmail) and I don’t see a single key file anywhere.

I also went through the GPG4Win directory looking for them too but couldn’t find them either…

Hi Mark,

GNUPGHOME is just the variable. :slight_smile:
By default it should be %APPDATA%\gnupg on Windows.

Best Regards,
Bernhard

Hi Bernhard,

I did find a directory called "private-keys-v1.d with 8 files in it all ending in the suffix “.key” The filenames I’m not sure where/how they were generated as they don’t seem to match up to any keys I have in Kleopatra.

In older versions it would be my name fingerprint pub or pub-sec and then end in .asc.

That is why I’m a bit confused as I don’t see where my new keys are being stored.

Thanks,
Mark