Weird behaviours with outlook 2016 and last releae of wpg4win (3.1.10)

Sounds very strange indeed.

First the exchange window, I do not think that this can come from GpgOL. GpgOL does nothing related to that. Have you tried disabling GpgOL to check if the Problem still exists?

Another thing you can try is to disable all other COM Addins except GpgOL and check if the weird behavior still exists.

GpgOL should also not do anything to unsigned / non crypto mails. Or did you mean unsigned as in encrypted but not signed?

In this very moment I disabled all the addins, even GPGOL, and outlook opens without the dialog window, so it is definetly GPGOL the issue.
In fact, if I open Outlook without the GPGOL Addins enabled I don’t see the window and if enable it the dialog windows pops out immediatly, even if Outlook it is still running.

GpgOL should also not do anything to unsigned / non crypto mails. Or did you mean unsigned as in encrypted but not signed?

I meant crypted and not signed.

Moreover I tried to find if the email I can’t decrypt has something wrong (charset of text format) and it hasn’t…

Update: it seems GPGOL truncates emails (or don’t decrypt at all) in case of symbols like " ’ " or characters like “à” “è” “ò” and so on.

This is very annoying…Is there any fix for this?

No, as we don’t understand the problem yet there is no fix. We have not received reports from other users with this issue.

What is your language setting in Outlook and Windows?

Which client are your communication partners using?

I’am using Italian and English as you can see in the attachment.

I just received an email saying (I had to watch the email on a colleague computer):

“Il contenuto di questa e-mail e degli eventuali allegati è rivolto unicamente alla persona o all’organizzazione etc etc”

GPGOL decrypts only as:

“Il contenuto di questa e-mail e degli eventuali allegati C( rivolto unicamente alla persona o allb”

More informations:

• the message is encrypted and not signed.
  • if I disable GPGOL I get the unencrypted message, of course, but if I copy/paste it on Kleopatra notepad and then I try to decode it I get this error (translated): “Unable to determine if this is a signature or a ciphertext S / MIME or OpenPGP; perhaps it is neither a ciphertext nor a signature?”

The email, actually, is ciphertext of course.

How can I support you more in order to fix this?

Cattura.PNG

Regarding how to best help with this:

Could you please ask your collegue to send a similar message to test1@testkolab.intevation.de ?

Key is here:

-----BEGIN PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----
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=1rQq
-----END PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----

You should have received an email with subject “support GPG”

FYI: colleague uses gpg4win 2.3.4 and office 2016

ARGH! So many Bugs in 2.3.4 that have been fixed. I’m not even sure if that could send PGP/MIME or just sent PGP/Inline (which can’t handle encoding like foô or whatever properly.

That is likely the problem. Please get him to update at least to 3.1.9 if 3.1.9 worked for you. Better to 3.1.10.

2.3.4 has security issues and the GpgOL in there is ~200 person days of developers behind the current state.

Really 2.x Versions of Gpg4win are fully end of life and unsupported. Sadly they do not even have the update reminder when starting Kleopatra as we only added that in 3.x

Ok I understand it should be better to upgrade to the last version but in this way nobody will be able to read old email if those have those strange characters in the body…This is really bad :frowning:

Thank you for your support

No sorry. But we cannot fix it with a newer Gpg4win Version if the Bug is in the old Gpg4win Version.

So I cannot tell you yet if the bug is on the senders side or on your side. But not updating a security software for years is just bad update policy.

Are you sure the issue is on the old version?
I am able to open and decrypt email with other softwares, on android an iOS for example…

Hi Gianni,

the last problem you are writing about seems to be an encoding issue.
You maybe able to manually convert the old email’s contents to the right encoding,
if you find out what the sending encoding was. This is one of the drawbacks of
no-mime OpenPGP emails (which some people call too positively ‘inline’).
It may work with some combinations of software (and settings), but may not work later
or with different software.

As Andre wrote: It is important to update the sending software to a more current version as soon as possible for several reasons. One is that it is using OpenPGP/MIME which handles encoding a lot better! :slight_smile:

If the emails are very precious, you could contract an IT consultant to check on the encoding and find a way to decode it.

Best Regards,
Bernhard

Good morning and thank you for your kind answer.
I agree a lot about updating all the software, but as I said we would have issues decoding old email sent with 2.3.4.
The only way we found is to copy/paste the encoded mail in some software (unfortunatly Kleopatra notepad tool included in 3.1.10 doesn’t work) and then save the decrypted email.

Anyway, any hints regarding the dialog windows that appears any time you start outlook?

Thank you very much for your effort

Gianni,

instead of paste and copying you should also be able to save the file on the disk and use the command line (gpg --decrypt) to get a file. Once you know which encoding it is, you could transfer it with a different tools.

Regarding the dialouges: I did not read this in detail.

How does Kleoapatra’s notepad not work for you? We would be interested to fix that, too. But for me and others there is no issue with the Notepad in 3.1.10, it works.

You can try with the test email we sent friday, here it is how to reproduce the issue:

1. disable gpgol plugin in order to see the (2.3.4) crypted message
  2. copy the message
  3. paste it in the kleopatra notepad
  4. click decrypt

In attach you can find the error

The same operation using, for example, OpenKeychan on Android works perfectly and I am able to read the same email

Cattura.PNG

Have you copied it in with the -----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE----- and end line? These are used to determine the type.

Yes, sure, begin and end

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: GnuPG v2
blablablablabla
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----