Can't stop dirmngr with multiple instances executing

I installed gpg4win on by box. I’ve also installed portableapps - Thunderbird with Enigmail and gpg (portable) on an USB device.

Due to gpg4win installation a local instance of gpg-agent and dirmngr are startet.

When running the portable version Thunderbird, then opening (Extras->Einstellungen dialogue box) a portable instance of gpg-agent and dirmngr are additionally startet. So far all works.

When terminating Thunderbird, then the portable version of gpg-agent and the local instance of dirmngr (instead of portable) are terminated. The portable version of dirmngr continues to execute and hence prevents terminating portableapps. Even more the process can’t be stopped by any command except terminating it with process explorer.

It should be possible to shutdown dirmngr similar to gpg-agent.

Hi C C,

this seems to be a possible improvement to the way how the “portableapps” package s Thunderbird/Enigmail. To me it would make more sense if the already running dirmngr and gpg-agent instances were used, but I think this may depend on the use case.

Do you have a link to the precise “portableapps” package you are using?
Did you ask them about how they start it?

Regards,
Bernhard

Hi Bernhard,

thanks for your reply. I’ve installed portableapps (https://portableapps.com) base package, addionally Thunderbird (6.9.1 32-bit) with add-on Enigmail (2.0.12) and gpgplugin app.
I’ve already opened a request on portableapps concerning this issue (please see https://portableapps.com/node/58232)

I hope this helps so far.
CC

Hi Bernhard,

do you intend to open a ticket or should I?

Regards
CC

Hi Carlos,

thanks for talking to the portableapps developers.

I guess that you want to open a tickets with GnuPG that gpgconf --kill dirmngr does not work?
If you can reproduce this, it would be cool if you open an issue on dev.gnupg.org.

Best Regards,
Bernhard

Hi Bernhard,

I can reproduce it. Could please which infos you need (logs, etc…)

Regards
Carlos

Hi Carlos,

first is to create the report at all.
Version number of Gpg4win and Windows would be fine.
And a step by step instruction how to recreate the problematic situation.
A pointer to the documentation would be a plus.

Best,
Bernhard